Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Amazing Chicken Pot Pie

This is my husband's favorite dish.  I try to make it when I have leftover chicken like I did last night.  This recipe is a little more involved than I usually like to make but it is well worth the little bit of extra effort.


Everything for this pot pie is made from scratch so here is what you will need.

Filling:

2 carrots peeled and dices or a 1 cup of baby carrots
2-4 peeled and diced potatoes (depending on size)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups cooked chicken
1/2 cup of peas or green beans (optional)

Crust:

1/4 cup soy flour, tapioca flour, sweet rice flour, and white rice flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup softened butter
3-4 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon milk
2 Tablespoons milk (To brush crust with)


1.  Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2.  Cook the carrots and potatoes until soft (I use the same pot)
3.  Met the 1/4 cup butter in a sauce pan, add cornstarch, and cook for 30 seconds
4.  Add chicken broth, milk, and seasoning
5.  Bring to a boil and cook until thickened
6.  Prepare pastry by mixing flour and salt in a medium sized bowl
7.  Cut in the 1/3 cup butter using a fork
8.  Add milk and water
9.  Roll onto a floured surface (I use tinfoil) (I usually don't use a rolling pin because this dough tends to be a little sticky; I press it with my hands to the size I need for my baking pan)
10.  In a glass baking dish mix together cooked chicken, cooked carrots, cooked potatoes, sauce, and cover with the crust
11.  Brush the top of the crust with milk
12.  Bake for about 20 minutes

Your family will love this recipe!



No comments:

Post a Comment