Sunday, April 29, 2012

Melt in Your Mouth Meat Loaf

I never know what to do with ground beef.  I too often make hamburgers and use it to make a meat sauce for spaghetti.  My husband recently suggested a meat loaf and I am glad that he did!

The pictures don't do the taste justice!  I am not a great photographer.


Ingredients:

2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup crushed Rice Chex
1/4 cup milk
1/4 onion finely chopped
2 Tablespoons parsley
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 lb. to 2 lbs. ground beef
catsup


1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2.  In a mixing bowl combine eggs, crushed cereal, milk, onion, parsley, sage, thyme, basil, salt, and pepper
3.  Add the ground meat and mix well (I usually have my husband use is hands and mix it very thoroughly)
4.  Line a bread loaf pan with tinfoil
5.  Pat meat mixture into pan to form a "loaf"
6.  Bake for 45-50 minutes or until no pink remains
7.  Drain the fat and using the tinfoil flip onto a serving plate. 
8.  Use basting brush to brush on desired amount of catsup

I served this comfort-food dish with mashed potatoes and steamed carrots.  It was DELICIOUS!

2 comments:

  1. I use soy rather than GB and like oats, but wonder, are oats off-limits for gluten-free folks, too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and no. Some people cannot tolerate oats and some can. When I was first told to stay away from gluten that included oats and then it changed to oats are ok as long as they are processed on gluten-free machinery. I would talk to your doctor if you stay away from gluten for medical reasons. There are a lot of articles about it online if you do a search about it.
    Let me know how it comes out with soy. I am a carnivore but I also enjoy soy and use it often! I think my mom is going to try to make a meat loaf with chicken because it is less fatty, I am still waiting to hear back from her on that.

    ReplyDelete