Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Creamy and Hearty Beef Stroganoff

I am a substitute teacher and sometimes I go through periods where I work almost everyday but for the last two days I have not.  As I was sitting on the couch attempting to entertain myself I started thinking about what I would make for dinner.  I was feel experimental and I am glad that I was.  I thumbed through one of my favorite cookbooks looking for a recipe (I usually have to convert them to be gluten-free once I find something I want to make).  I decided to surprise my husband with one of his favorite dishes and something I have never made before, Beef Stroganoff.  I had most of the ingredients so after a quick trip to the store I made one amazing dish.  I encourage you to try it!


Ingredients:

2 lbs beef steak (I used a round steak because that is what I had in my freezer it wasn't the most tender but tasted wonderful!)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
16 oz. sour cream
1 1/4 cup beef broth
2 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups mushrooms (chopped)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
hot cooked noodles
salt
pepper

1.  Cut the meat into bite sized pieces and set aside
2.  Chop the onion, mince the garlic,chop mushrooms and set aside with the beef
3.  In a large skillet over medium heat melt the butter
4.  Place the meat in the hot skillet with the butter
5.  Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms when the meat is about halfway cooked
6.  In a mixing bowl combing beef broth, cornstarch, and sour cream whisking to make a smooth consistency
7.  When the meat is cooked add the sauce in the mixing bowl
8.  Stir thoroughly in the skillet until all ingredients are combined
9.  Cook until the sauce is bubbly and thickened
10.  Add salt and pepper to taste
11.  Serve over freshly cooked noodles (I used Tinkyada shells)

No comments:

Post a Comment