Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving Pre-game: Part 2: New and Improved Apple Pie

I have posted an apple pie recipe before (around the 4th of July) but since then I have played with the recipe a little and made it even better!  I have added some ingredients and taken a few away.  I hope you enjoy this version of apple pie as much as I do!


I always make the filling first followed by the crust. 

Ingredients:

Filling:

3/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I make it a heaping teaspoon)
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
6 cups diced (bite sized) apples (today I used a combination of granny smith and gala)

Crust:

1/2 cup soy flour, tapioca flour, white rice flour, and sweet rice flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter or shortening
6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
milk
sugar

Directions:

1.  Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees

Filling:

1.  Dice all the apples into bite-sized pieces (I left the skin on it is colorful and delicious)


2.  Mix apples well with the cornstarch, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ground ginger


3.  Set aside

Crust:

1.  Whisk together the flours and salt
2.  Cut in butter with a fork (there should be pea-sized pieces of butter and flour in the bowl)


3.  Add the cold water and mix well (I usually end up using my hands)
4.  Divide the dough in half
5.  Using two sheets of wax paper and a rolling pin roll out enough dough to cover the bottom and sides of the pie plate


6.  Add the apple mixture to the pie plate (make sure the apples are evenly distributed so they cook evenly a.k.a. don't leave the apples in a heap)


7.  Again, using two sheets of wax paper and a rolling pin roll out the dough large enough to cover the top of the pie


8.  Cut away excess dough and use to patch any holes
9. Cut slits in the top of the pie
10.  Brush with a little milk and dust with sugar
11.  Bake for 35-40 minutes or until apples are well done and the crust is golden brown

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment