Thursday, November 22, 2012

Finished Turkey and Gluten-free Stuffing

The turkey took exactly 4 1/2 hours to cook today and it was worth the wait.  I think I have about 12 lbs. of meat leftover (I think I was a little over zealous when I picked the turkey out this year).  Tomorrow I am going to think of new things to make with the leftover turkey.  I am thinking a turkey potpie or a turkey hash...we will see.  For now I wanted to show you how it turned out! 


The butter that I basted it with this morning made the skin very nice and crispy.  Notice all the juices left in the pan from the little bit of water and chicken broth I put in the bottom to keep it moist while baking!  The spices were a great addition.

 
The stuffing also came out great.  After I dried the bread out in the oven I chopped about a cup and a half of celery and about 3/4 of a cup of diced onion.  After I diced the vegetables I melted 1/2 cup butter on the stove and added the celery and onion.  I cooked the celery and onion until it was tender but not brown.
 
Then I added 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon sage, 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a 1/4 teaspoon of pepper to the mix on the stove.  All of this then simmered for just a couple of minutes and was added to the dry bread cubes.
 
 
 
 
Finally I added about 1 cup of chicken broth to the dry bread cube mixture.  All of this then baked covered  in the oven at 375 got 25 minutes while the turkey rested before being carved. 
 
 
This is what the finished stuffing product looked like.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment