Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Sides (Mashed Potatoes, Fried Corn, and Green Beans)

I thought the Thanksgiving sides were the easiest to convert to be gluten-free.  Every year I like to have a couple of different vegetables and, of course, mashed potates.  The fried corn is my favorite side and it is easy to make a lot or a little.  I have found that not many of my Thanksgiving recipes have exact measurements because I know that everyone will need to make different amounts.

Fried Corn:


1 bag frozen corn
1 stick (1/2 cup butter)
Salt
Pepper

1.  Over medium-low heat melt the butter in a fairly large skillet
2.  Add the entire bag of frozen corn
3.  As the corn cooks salt and pepper to taste
4.  Cotinue to roast/fry corn until cooked thoroughly


**The longer and slower you roast/fry the corn the sweeter the corn will be and the more delicious it will be.

***Stir often so nothing sticks and burns to the bottom of the skillet.

Green Beans

I did not do much to the green beans.  I bought a couple of frozen bags and as everything was being put out before we ate I put them in the microwave and cooked them according to the package directions.  I added a little salt and pepper but that is it!  I LOVE THAT VEGETABLES ARE NATURALLY GLUTEN-FREE!


Mashed Potatoes:

Again this recipe is not exact and is usually naturally gluten-free!

Potatoes (peeled and diced)
Butter
milk
salt
pepper

1.  Peel and dice potatoes
2.  Boil in a large pot until the potatoes are soft
3.  Strain out water
4.  Add butter, salt, pepper, and milk (Don't add too much milk at once or you will get soupy potatoes!)
5.  Beat with an electric mixer until smooth




No comments:

Post a Comment