Sunday, August 5, 2012

Brats and Potatoes on the Grill (A perfect meal in the heat)

It is finally summer in Seattle.  I have waited for months to have nice weather on a kind-of consistent basis.  The only downside to all of this nice weather is the heat and humidity that comes with it.  Unfortunately our little house does not have air conditioning.  The heat makes me want to have it installed just to have for the couple weeks a year we actually need it. 

Since it has been so hot I have been avoiding turning on the stove or the oven.  Tonight, we decided to grill some brats.  I didn't want to turn on any part of the stove or oven so I also made potatoes on the grill and cooked some frozen corn in the microwave. 

When you buy brats make sure to look at the labels carefully.  Just like hot dogs, they can contain gluten.  A good place to start the search for a good gluten-free brat is online.  Most companies post allergy information.  I did not do anything special to the brats, I just put them on the grill to cook until they were nice and brown and hot all the way through.


 For the Potatoes:

Ingredients:

3-4 potatoes (I used red)
salt and pepper
butter
onion (small)

1.  Peel the potatoes and slice
2.  Place the cut potatoes in equal parts on one or two large pieces of tinfoil
3.  Dice the onion
4.  Add the onion and salt and pepper (to taste) to each of the foil packets
5.  Add a couple Tablespoons of butter to each packet
6.  Fold the foil to create a sealed packet
7. Place on the grill for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through (My dad likes to cook them a little longer so they get crispy)
8.  Remove from foil and serve (Spoon the potatoes out of the packet leaving the excess butter behind)


*Depending on taste you can used more or less butter.  I like my potatoes buttery but my husband likes a little less.

**Be creative you can add a variety of spices and flavors to make these potatoes your own.  Sometimes I add a little rosemary or garlic.  It is an easy dish that you can make your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment