Thursday, April 5, 2012

My Husband's 25th Birthday Cake

My husband celebrated his 25th birthday yesterday.  I asked him what kind of cake he wanted and he said chocolate chocolate.  I am telling you, he is a man after my own heart.  I used my favorite chocolate cake recipe (see the NY Giants Cake recipe from January).  I used the same recipe with a few minor changes.  First, I used a dark cocoa instead of just a regular cocoa (same amount I just substituted the dark for the regular).  Second, I made a chocolate frosting.  Third, I made it a circular layer cake (same process just use greased and floured circular pans and it cooks for 30-35 minutes instead of 35-40 minutes).  The frosting is what I really want to share with you.


Ingredients for chocolate frosting:

1/2 cup (stick) butter melted
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar

1.  Stir the melted butter into the cocoa and dark cocoa mixing thoroughly
2.  Add about half the milk and half the milk and powdered sugar and beat on high with an electric mixer
3.  Add the rest of the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla, beat with a mixer until thoroughly combined and until it becomes spreadable (add extra milk to help with consistency if desired)

The cake turned out wonderfully and was a hit with our birthday guests.  I added some sprinkles for color and of course, birthday candles.

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer, you have a natural talent for this alternate recipe thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has taken me many years to get to this point and I am still learning. I hope you keep reading!

      Delete