Friday, May 24, 2013

Tomato Tart

I haven't had this dish in years.  I recently just tried to make it myself and it turned out to be completely delicious!  I am not even a huge tomato fan and I think that this dish rocks.  It was a huge success at our last gathering.  I am planning on making it again this weekend for our Memorial Day BBQ. 


Ingredients:

1 single pie crust (I used the same crust I usually use to make apple pie http://glutenfreethetastyway.blogspot.com/2012/07/american-as-apple-pie.html)
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
5 Roma tomatoes
1 cup fresh basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste. 

1.  Pre-heat the oven to 450degrees.
2.  Press the crust into a tart pan (you can also use a pizza pan or cookie sheet).
3.  Prick the bottom of the crust with a fort and bake for about 8 minutes.
4.  Reduce the oven temp to 375 degrees. 
5.  Sprinkle the crust with about 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
6.  Cut the tomatoes into 1/4 inch think slices and drain on paper towels. 
7.  Use a food processor to roughly chop the garlic and basil.
8.  Place the tomatoes on the cooled crust and sprinkle the garlic and basil mixture on top.
9.  In a mixing bowl mix the remaining mozzarella, mayonnaise, and Parmesan cheese. 
10.  Spoon the cheese mixture evenly over the top of the tomatoes. 
11.  Bake for 35-40 minutes at 375 degrees until the top is golden and bubbly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment